The forest covering most of the hillside is composed of pines and mixed hardwoods. Many interesting rock formations and ferns can be observed on the open ledges at the top of the hill.
Carmel Woods was once part of a larger Town Forest (36.5 acres in 1896). Needy townspeople were housed nearby, in the large white house across from the Carmel Road entrance. During the 19th century there was some controversy over whether or not to allow the poor to gather firewood from the forest. Several controlled harvests of timber and firewood were conducted. In 1897 the Andover Park Commission built the carriage road that now serves as the principal trail. The open space at the top of the hill was and is a favorite picnic area and the site of many Boy Scout camp-outs.
Size: 20 acres
Location: At the end of Carmel Road off of Walnut Street
Parking: Small parking area off of Carmel Road