Bay Circuit Trail
Bay Circuit Trail
The Bay Circuit Trail is a permanent recreation trail and greenway extending through 37 towns in Eastern Massachusetts, linking parks and open space from the north shore to the south shore of Massachusetts. The Bay Circuit Trail route in North Andover and Andover covers 19.1 miles. Its sections are described in the Guidebook and include (from East to West):
- Harold Parker State Forest: Rte. 114 to Salem St. (2.5 miles); Salem St. to Jenkins Rd. (1 mile)
- Skug & Hammond Reservations: Jenkins Rd. to Salem St. (1 mile); Salem St. to Korinthian Way (0.5 mile); Korinthian Way & Gray Rd. (0.2 mile)
- Ward Reservation: Gray Rd. to Tucker Rd. (0.4 mile); Tucker Rd. to Prospect Rd. (1.6 miles); Prospect Rd. and Rte. 125 (0.3 mile)
- Phillips Academy & Purdon Reservation: Rte. 125 to Central St. (1.8 miles); Central St. to Lupine Rd. (0.2 mile); Lupine Rd., Central St., Reservation Rd.(0.4 mile)
- Indian Ridge & West Parish Meadow: Reservation Rd. to intersection of Cutler Rd. (1.3 miles)
- West Parish Cemetery & Doyle Link: Reservation & Cutler Rds. to Rte. 133 (Lowell St.) (0.5 mile); Rte. 133 (Lowell St.) to High Plain Rd. (1 mile); High Plain Rd. (1.4 miles)
- Rafton Reservation & Fish Brook: High Plain Rd. to jct. Chandler Rd. & River Rd. (2 miles); Launching Rd (0.3 mile)
- Deer Jump Reservation: Launching Rd. to Tewksbury town line (2.7 miles)
The route of the Bay Circuit Trail is marked in Andover with plastic markers bearing the Bay Circuit logo.
Please note that bicycles are not permitted on AVIS trails.
ADVISORY OCTOBER 2021: Due to high annual rain and beaver activity, water levels in the Hammond (AVIS) and Mary French (Andover Conservation) reservations may top existing boardwalks and bog bridges by 3-4 inches. Footing remains safe but potentially unpleasant.
BCT through-hikers (westbound) who wish to keep their feet dry should proceed from the Skug Reservation left/northwest on Salem Street for 7/10 of a mile, enter the Ward Reservation on the right near the intersection with Gray Road, and rejoin the Bay Circuit Trail at the top of the hill.
Eastbound hikers may pass through the Ward and Great Swamp reservations to Gray Road and the intersection with Korinthian Way. The dry route is along Gray Road, 5/10 of a mile, to the intersection with Salem Street. Left on Salem Street for 7/10 of a mile and right into the Skug Reservation.
Thanks for your patience. AVIS and Andover Conservation are working to remedy the situation!!!